Saturday, November 17, 2007

Nano-ing It..!!


As I write this I am in the Lunch Break of a National Symposium being held at NIT ... An enthusiastic first session was enough to bring the blogger in me to the fore..
The first speaker of day Mr.Murthy ..oops Murty ..( as he said that if you include the "H" ..The reference will be to a CSE deptt professor at IIT-Madras ,his workplace..)..I really liked the way he fragmented his presentation smoothly ...Anyways the topic on the floor was Nano-technology..How everything can be "nanoed" down to a very small particle ..I really liked the way he introduced himself after he was introduced by the emcee .He said---- "Newton once said "I stand on the shoulders of the giants and from there I see the world from a new point of view..Therefore to call me a genius would be a mistake .All that I do is to add that small delta X to the already defined quantity ..Just that " " ..Anyways the way nano tech was made simple was impressive..How would it sound if you could reduce the Supercomputer down to a size of a small cube and yet as powerful as a billion laptops.. And how would it sound if the motherboard of your computers were floating in a liquid to reduce the heat generation ..And well how would it sound if people wore self cleansing shirts .. Urrgsss .. Anyways Nanotech ..in this period of metamorphosis of technology... seems like the next big thing..with an expected annual budget of 30000 billion dollars in the US by 2020..It is definitely the thing to be.. India too are making rapid strides..However a Civil Engineer in me now begins to bang its head in desperation "When I am trying to make the Biggest dams... the longest bridges..tallest towers ..these Nano technicians are spending mind boggling amounts on Nanoing everything around them.." How small is actually small ..A nanometer is approximately 10 raise to the power -9 metres..40000th part of the hair thickness....However minus-ing the techinical aspects its a great field to work on..It did ring bells in my ear at least when he mentioned "Nano-cement" and self cleaning glasses for skyscrapers .. and how the lotus leaf's mechanism of shrugging off the water droplets are being utilized to make self cleansing materials using nanotechnology...
So as somebody once said "There is a lot of room at the bottom "..

1 comment:

aditi said...

u got something in u, hero!